I don't know what procedure he's having done but I know the wait.
They told us 2 hours for Amanda, it took more like 5 and felt more like 20.
All I do know is, they know what they're doing at those children's hospitals. I loved the doctors that took care of my girl. They still do. Great people. Wonderful people.
I hope he's okay. Forever.
If you've seen this story before, don't feel like you have to read it. ;) I just felt like going over it as following Cathy's story has brought my own memories flooding back.
Amanda had pulmonary valve stenosis. She was a bit of an experiment because normally they would wait until a child is 5 to do a balloon angioplasty but her heart was growing and the valve was closing. So, just shy of her 3rd of third birthday, and me very pg with baby no. 2, we all packed up and headed to Mott's Children's Hospital in Ann Arbor Michigan.
Ken's Mom and sisters had come down to be with us. We'd each gotten a hotel room at the hotel that was inside the hospital. We qualified for the Ronald McDonald house financially but our stay was one day short to allow us to stay there.
When we first arrived they did tests on Amanda. Before that, they drugged her with something that made her very relaxed. They ran their tests and then sat us in a waiting room to wait for a room for about five hours. She was flopping around like she was drunk. We had to hold onto her so she wouldn't fall and hit her head. The hospital really wasn't prepared for her arrival because it was an emergency to have her heart fixed. They finally found a bed for her and we got her settled in. She was to have the procedure the next day and then stay two more days after that.
I decided to stay with her the night before her surgery. The hospital allowed one parent to sleep with the child at night. Ken and his family went to the hotel room. I couldn't sleep. I was so worried. I sat there next to my sleeping little girl. A nurse came in and sat down next to me. She asked me if I was okay. I said yes, just worried. She asked when I was due and we talked for a little bit. So kind.
The next morning they came and got her. They had hoped to have her awake during the procedure (I don't know what they were thinking! :) ) but that didn't work out. We walked with them to the operating room and they said she'd watch cartoons and they had given her something to relax.
Longest hours of my life!
It was about five hours later they came out and they were so happy! They said it went beautifully! I can still see that silly grin on that doctor's face. They had done a heart catherization to see what things looked like in there, then they did the balloon angioplasty to open up the valve.
By dinner time that evening Amanda was begging for real food. She'd had enough popsicles and Lorna Doone cookies and she didn't want any more. I went and asked for real food. Okay, begged. They were sure she wouldn't be able to hold it down. I said she's starving, she hasn't eaten since yesterday. They ordered her some fried chicken and fries. She ate it all. She kept it down. They were amazed.
She went home the next day. That was December 20, 1989. :)
I remember it like yesterday. Amanda doesn't remember a thing about it. She remembers moving down here when she was just 2 years old. I think she chooses not to remember that. I can't do that but it surely was a learning experience. She still goes to the children's hospital for check ups on her heart. They want to follow her all her life. I like that. :)
I'm sure those doctors know what they are doing there too. <3 nbsp="" p="">
3>
No comments:
Post a Comment